Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Elephant Room

Two Thursdays ago I had the opportunity to be part of the live audience for an event called The Elephant Room. The event was a gathering of seven influential pastors, hosted by James MacDonald at Harvest Bible Chapel's Aurora campus.

The seven pastors took turns debating various contemporary issues, from poverty ministry to how to engage the culture. I can honestly say that it was the best one-day conference I have attended, and encourage you to consider purchasing the sessions on DVD. You can pre-order them here for $49.95. In the meantime, here are a few clips from two of the sessions:


Highway to Hell - Part 1 from Harvest Bible Chapel on Vimeo.



Chandler and Furtick from Harvest Bible Chapel on Vimeo.

3 comments:

  1. So what are your thoughts on New Spring's Highway to Hell bit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have to start with the purpose of a 'church' service, which actually goes to the discussion that Furtick and Chandler had.

    By definition a church is a group of believers that meet for corporate worship, fellowship, prayer, and service. Since the primary focus should be worshipping Christ when we gather, it seems out of place to 1) focus on unbelievers and 2) use a song like Highway to Hell in a worship service.

    If it was an evangelistic event, I think I could go along with this, but not in a corporate worship setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. perhaps Highway to Hell could be a manifestation of his Armenian theology (Billy Sunday on steroids).
    _____________________________________________

    Also,

    I have been thinking about this, so you can perhaps help me process: What is the purpose of preaching?

    Instruction? Exposition? A means of grace? Other?

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete

Search

Pages

About Me

I am a husband to Eva, father of 4, pastor, and most of all passionate follower of Jesus Christ. The focus of my life is to make the most of every opportunity God gives me to bring glory to Him. Outside of the time spent in my role as a pastor, I spend most of my time with my family -- a good deal of that coaching various sports teams that my children are involved with. Every fall and winter you will find me rushing to the woods of Indiana and West Virginia in search of a monster whitetail buck.