Wednesday, April 13, 2011

TGC11


This week I have the joy of joining more than 5,000 like-minded brothers and sisters at the Gospel Coalition’s Bi-Annual Conference at McCormick Place in Chicago. The theme of the conference is Preaching Christ and the Gospel from the Old Testament.

The conference started yesterday with plenary messages from Albert Mohler (John 5:31-47), Tim Keller (Exodus 14), Alistair Begg (Ruth), as well as a panel consisting of Bryan Chappell, John Piper, D.A. Carson, Crawford Loritts, and Tim Keller.

Around the plenary sessions I also attended a panel on God-Given Growth and a round table Band of Bloggers dinner discussion.

Here are some of the best quotes from Day 1 of the conference. Note that in some instances the ‘quote’ might be my best attempt at a summary of what was said. Feel free to follow me on Twitter (@gchriscarr) for a live feed of quotes and updates.

The most serious students of Scripture can miss the point – Christ.  – Al Mohler

There is no more basic word in the Bible than redemption. – Tim Keller

Every time you sin you are destroying your ability to resist that sin. – Tim Keller

Pharaoh to the Israelites – ‘serve me or you will die’. This is the same thing our idols say to us. – Tim Keller

What makes you a Christian is a change in status. – Tim Keller

Jesus Christ was decreated so that we could be recreated. – Tim Keller

The OT Scriptures should mean more to us than to the original recipients. – Alistair Begg

There is no true gospel-centeredness unless it leads to mission. - Trevin Wax

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Pages

About Me

I am a husband to Eva, father of 4, pastor, and most of all passionate follower of Jesus Christ. The focus of my life is to make the most of every opportunity God gives me to bring glory to Him. Outside of the time spent in my role as a pastor, I spend most of my time with my family -- a good deal of that coaching various sports teams that my children are involved with. Every fall and winter you will find me rushing to the woods of Indiana and West Virginia in search of a monster whitetail buck.