Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Video Game Addictions

Psychological Science 05/09:

Nearly one in ten children and teens (three million kids) who play video games show behavioral signs that may indicate addiction, finds a Harris poll. The study found 8.5% of those who played had at least six of eleven addictive symptoms, including skipping chores and homework for video games, poor test or homework performance and playing games to escape problems. "This study shows there are a substantial number of kids…taking damage to multiple areas of their life," states Iowa State researcher Douglas Gentile. 12% of boys exhibited at least six symptoms vs. 3% of girls. Other symptoms included excessive thinking about games and planning the next opportunity, trying to play less and failing, restlessness or irritability when trying to reduce or stop playing, lying about play time, stealing a game or stealing money to buy a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Pages

About Me

I am a husband to Eva, father of 4, pastor, and most of all passionate follower of Jesus Christ. The focus of my life is to make the most of every opportunity God gives me to bring glory to Him. Outside of the time spent in my role as a pastor, I spend most of my time with my family -- a good deal of that coaching various sports teams that my children are involved with. Every fall and winter you will find me rushing to the woods of Indiana and West Virginia in search of a monster whitetail buck.