Sunday, June 21, 2009

Burnout Lessons

Wayne Cordeiro, Senior Pastor of New Hope Christian Fellowship in Honolulu, Hawaii, shares Seven Hard-Earned Lessons from My Burnout in Rev! Magazine:

1. Do not overproduce. You only have so much in you to give.

2. Steward your energy. I had to learn to invest my bursts of energy more intentionally, and in doing so, I would be able to extend my ministry "shelf-life."

3. Rest well, my friend. We are never more vulnerable to burnout and depression than when we are totally fatigued or overtired.

4. Exercise you way to recovery. Putting on your sneakers and going to the gym may seem like the least important thing on your list. But it's a fact: Exercise is important for both your physical and mental health.

5. Eat your way to a good life. Often it takes a brush with death to get us to rearrange our diet and opt for better nutrition. Food and mood are intricately connected.

6. Recharge daily. My goal for daily devotions is not to study the Bible for an hour each morning. Rather, it is to let the Bible study me!

7. Fight for your family. The darkest place of any lighthouse is always at its base. The same can be said of too many ministry families. Let it not be so! Fight for your family. If you miss that home base, you will have nowhere to go when your ministry days are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Pages

About Me

I am a husband to Eva, father of 4, pastor, and most of all passionate follower of Jesus Christ. The focus of my life is to make the most of every opportunity God gives me to bring glory to Him. Outside of the time spent in my role as a pastor, I spend most of my time with my family -- a good deal of that coaching various sports teams that my children are involved with. Every fall and winter you will find me rushing to the woods of Indiana and West Virginia in search of a monster whitetail buck.