Monday, February 14, 2011

Reading Update Week #1

Well, I didn't quite meet my goal -- but since my Kindle says I am 70% done with my second book (which actually means I only have 10% or so left due to the appendices) I did come close enough to give a review of both.

The first book was The Intentional Church by Randy Pope. He is the Senior Pastor of Perimeter Church in Atlanta, a large church that has planted more than 30 churches in the Atlanta area over the last two decades. I picked up this book (or I guess I should say downloaded it) wanting to learn about what Perimeter calls life-on-life missional discipleship. However, while this is a major focus of the church's ministry, it wasn't a focus of the book. The book was more of a how-to manual building an impactful church. While there were many helpful things in the book, and I would highly recommend it to anyone new to this genre, many of the things that Pope covers I have read and/or learned from prior sources.

The second book, which I hope to complete in the next day or so, is To Transform a City by Eric Swanson and Sam Williams. To say the least, this book is transformational and it will take a second careful reading before I am able to give a detailed review. For those who are interested in community transformation, this is a fantastic resource and very thought-provoking. For the uninitiated however, I might suggest that you begin with Generous Justice by Tim Keller for a theological treatise on the issue, and then turn to Transform a City and A New Kind of Big by Chip Sweney for the action steps. Either way, get this book and read it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Pages

About Me

I am a husband to Eva, father of 4, pastor, and most of all passionate follower of Jesus Christ. The focus of my life is to make the most of every opportunity God gives me to bring glory to Him. Outside of the time spent in my role as a pastor, I spend most of my time with my family -- a good deal of that coaching various sports teams that my children are involved with. Every fall and winter you will find me rushing to the woods of Indiana and West Virginia in search of a monster whitetail buck.