Monday, May 11, 2009

Producing Fruit -- On Other's Trees

This weekend I read a quote by Peter Drucker that I absolutely love:

The fruit of our work grows up on other people's trees.

If you aren't familiar with Drucker, you need to be. He is widely considered to be the father of modern management and has had a great influence on leadership both inside and outside of the church.

I believe that what Drucker is getting at here is similar to what the Apostle Paul was trying to get across to a young pastor named Timothy:

You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.2 Timothy 2:1-2 (NIV)

All of us have a responsibility to pass along the faith; often times the work that God calls us to is to produce fruit through others. How are you doing in growing fruit on other trees?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Pages

About Me

I am a husband to Eva, father of 4, pastor, and most of all passionate follower of Jesus Christ. The focus of my life is to make the most of every opportunity God gives me to bring glory to Him. Outside of the time spent in my role as a pastor, I spend most of my time with my family -- a good deal of that coaching various sports teams that my children are involved with. Every fall and winter you will find me rushing to the woods of Indiana and West Virginia in search of a monster whitetail buck.