Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ministries of Mercy

The ideology of the Left believes big government and social reform will solve social ills, while the Right believes big business and economic growth will do it. The Left expects a citizen to be held legally accountable for the use of his wealth, but totally autonomous in other areas, such as sexual morality. The Right expects a citizen to be held legally accountable in areas of personal morality, but totally autonomous in the use of wealth. The North American "idol" -- radical individualism -- lies beneath both ideologies. A Christian sees either "solution" as fundamentally humanistic and simplistic.

Only the ministry of the church of Jesus Christ, and the millioins of "mini-churches" (Christian homes) throughout the country can attack the roots of social problems.


-- Tim Keller from his book Ministries of Mercy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Pages

About Me

I am a husband to Eva, father of 4, pastor, and most of all passionate follower of Jesus Christ. The focus of my life is to make the most of every opportunity God gives me to bring glory to Him. Outside of the time spent in my role as a pastor, I spend most of my time with my family -- a good deal of that coaching various sports teams that my children are involved with. Every fall and winter you will find me rushing to the woods of Indiana and West Virginia in search of a monster whitetail buck.