God blew my mind while reading the book of James the other morning…and I’ve listed some leadership questions that every leader/potential leader needs to think about and pray through.
1. Do I understand who I am? James 1:1 – notice James didn’t identify himself as the brother of Jesus, but rather His servant! WOW!
2. Do I understand that ministry IS NOT easy? James 1:2-4 (when the writer begins with these verses, that’s a big time sign!)
3. Do I understand that I should spend more time on my face before God rather than worshipping the FACEBOOK god when seeking direction? James 1:5
4. Do you think that James is trying to get a point across? It’s not going to be easy…but we are called to be “in it to win it!” James 1:12
5. Do I understand it’s not "if" I am tempted, but when…and "if" I give into it, then something WILL die? James 1:13-15
6. Do I understand that I am NOT THAT GOOD…that everything is a gift? James 1:16-18
7. How many bad decisions, arguments, and misunderstandings could be avoided if we all simply memorized and applied James 1:19-20? (Also, see James 1:26)
8. Do I understand I am not called just to preach the Word…but live it? James 1:22
9. Do I understand that showing favoritism WILL be a temptation…but I must always war against it? James 2:1-4
10. Do I understand that I am called to live and lead by faith…and if I am not taking steps of faith in my life and ministry, then my faith is DEAD? James 2:14-26
11. Do I understand the weight of James 3:1? WOW!!!
12. Do I fully understand that when I become envious and selfish, then that is simply the beginning of the end? James 3:13-18
13. Do I have the proper motives in regards to leading this ministry? James 4:1-3
14. Am I being opposed by God, or is He offering me grace? James 4:6
15. Am I using my platform (whether it is speaking or the Internet) to falsely attack, accuse, and twist people’s words around? James 4:11-12
16. Do I understand my days are numbered, that I’ve got one shot at this life, and I need to do all that I can to honor the One who called me? James 4:13-17
17. Do I understand that there are seasons of growth and seasons of preparation…and in those seasons of preparation, I should not become impatient but rather wait on God? James 5:7-8
18. Do I understand that integrity HAS to be a priority in my life and ministry? James 5:12
19. Do I understand that I cannot do this alone, that I need accountability in my life? James 5:16
20. Do I fully comprehend James 5:17-18…that Elijah was just like one of us? He literally called fire down from heaven! He prayed for rain…and it rained! I want THAT kind of faith!
21. Do I understand that ministry is messy…that I am called and expected to have tough conversations with the person that the Lord places on my heart, but in doing so, the potential is unlimited? James 5:19-20
- Chris Carr
- I am a husband to Eva, father of 4, pastor, and most of all passionate follower of Jesus Christ. The focus of my life is to make the most of every opportunity God gives me to bring glory to Him. Outside of the time spent in my role as a pastor, I spend most of my time with my family -- a good deal of that coaching various sports teams that my children are involved with. Every fall and winter you will find me rushing to the woods of Indiana and West Virginia in search of a monster whitetail buck.