Monday, September 20, 2010

Should Christians Practice Yoga?

Al Mohler is sure to create a commotion with this question -- but one that I think needs to be asked. Here is perhaps the most important of his post:

When Christians practice yoga, they must either deny the reality of what yoga represents or fail to see the contradictions between their Christian commitments and their embrace of yoga. The contradictions are not few, nor are they peripheral. The bare fact is that yoga is a spiritual discipline by which the adherent is trained to use the body as a vehicle for achieving consciousness of the divine. Christians are called to look to Christ for all that we need and to obey Christ through obeying his Word. We are not called to escape the consciousness of this world by achieving an elevated state of consciousness, but to follow Christ in the way of faithfulness.

Read the whole thing here.

2 comments:

  1. http://praisemoves.com/

    Here is a link to the Christian alternative to yoga....the founder, Laurette, has an awesome testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started a business entitled Son Salutation Yoga. It is a Christian alternative to traditional yoga. I'm trained in a discipline called PiYo which combines a series of Pilates and yoga movements that flows from one movement to the next. I do not use Sanskrit terminology or meditation. You can go to my website to see what Son Salutation is all about. www.sonsalutation.org

    ReplyDelete

Search

Pages

About Me

I am a husband to Eva, father of 4, pastor, and most of all passionate follower of Jesus Christ. The focus of my life is to make the most of every opportunity God gives me to bring glory to Him. Outside of the time spent in my role as a pastor, I spend most of my time with my family -- a good deal of that coaching various sports teams that my children are involved with. Every fall and winter you will find me rushing to the woods of Indiana and West Virginia in search of a monster whitetail buck.